What is coily hair?
If your hair has defined ringlets and a full-bodied voluminous look, you may have coily hair. Unlike curly hair, this type of hair is more fragile than straight, wavy, and even curly hair since it has fewer layers of the cuticle, which protects the hair shaft from breaking. Understanding your hair type with help you navigate which hair products will reduce frizz, promote hair growth, and allow you to have healthy hair from your scalp to the tips. Coily hair has three different classifications: 4A, 4B, and 4C. Basically, the higher the number, the tighter the coils are. If you have 4A coily hair, then you have dense, springy coils that tend to be on the dry side. Those with 4B-type coily hair have densely packed zigzags. If your hair is 4C-type coily hair, then it's naturally dry and tends to be more fragile with a lot of shrinkage. Choosing and using the right products for coily hair will keep your locks looking bouncy, healthy, and moisturized. You can style this type of curly hair any way you like, from twists and braids to dreads and more.
Coily hair products
Here are some tips for improve your hair care steps with the best coily hair products for you:
- Use a moisturizing leave-in curl product to protect your coils and keep them hydrated, and apply it when your hair is still damp.
- Thick hydrating creams are great for 4B coils since they make it easy for you to roll your coils with your palms.
- Use hydrating oils and leave-in conditioners if you have 4C coils to keep those locks nice and moisturized.
- Use a smoothing treatment on your coily hair to prevent it from shrinking and to give your hair some extra length
- Apply shea butter, thick almond oil, olive oil, or some argan oil for natural deep treatments.
- Use a silk pillow or scarf when you sleep to prevent tangles.
- A smoothing treatment can be applied to the ends of your coils to help you hold your style for longer and to prevent frizz.
- Apply an oil-in-cream product to your hair before styling to give it an extra dose of moisture.
- Use a shampoo designed to improve hair texture with curly hair, and promote your natural curl pattern
Shop By Hair Type