CVS Health - Pomada de bacitracina, 1 oz
What is Bacitracin?
Bacitracin is a medication, typically in an ointment form, that is used to help prevent minor skin infections caused by scrapes, burns, or small cuts. It works to help stop the growth of certain bacteria to help the skin can heal and avoid infection.
How do You Use Bacitracin?
If you have a minor scrape, cut, or burn, you can apply the bacitracin ointment directly to the affected area. Clean the area first using mild soap and water. Allow the area to dry and then apply a small amount of the ointment to the area one to three times each day. You can apply a light gauze or sterile bandage over it to help keep germs and dirt out of the wound. You should not use bacitracin for longer than seven days. If your injury becomes worse or inflamed, see a doctor right away.
You should seek urgent care for a wound if:
• The wound is on a child under a year old
• Bleeding is severe or doesn’t stop with gentle pressure
• Your wound has jagged edges
• The cut is deep, gaping, or across a joint
• The wound was caused by a dirty object or was the result of a projectile or something impaling the skin
• The wound was caused by a human or animal bite
• The wound happened on the face or genital area
• Stitches are usually needed for cuts longer than ½ inch. If you have a cut on your face that's ¼ inch or longer, a doctor may close it with surgical glue or sutures.
• Or any other reason that would warrant you to believe that you need to seek medical attention
What is Bacitracin Used For?
Most minor injuries may not need the attention of a healthcare professional. But, in order to help keep germs away, bacitracin can help to protect small wounds from getting infected. This ointment should be in your first aid kit in case you need it. The purpose of bacitracin is to help keep infections from occurring after a minor cut, burn, or scrape. Many parents and coaches keep some handy so they can quickly help treat a child who has been cut or has a scraped knee.
How Often Should You Apply Bacitracin?
Always follow the directions as indicated on the packaging of your bacitracin ointment. As a general rule, the ointment should be applied to the affected area anywhere from one to three times maximum per day. Never apply it directly to dirty skin, and always clean the skin before a new layer of product is applied. If you're still experiencing pain or swelling after seven days, discontinue using the bacitracin and see your doctor as soon as possible.