Boric acid is an ingredient that may be used to help reduce symptoms of yeast infections. When other antifungal medication are not working, talk to your health care provider about using boric acid.
What is boric acid?
Boric acid is a mixture of oxygen, boron, and hydrogen. Boric acid is water-soluble white compound that occurs naturally, and it's known to have potential antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties. You can find boric acid in the form of a powder, dust, liquid, pellet, granules, or as a bait to use as pest control. This product is often used to get rid of pests, but it's also found in a variety of products. In fact, you can find boric acid in over 500 products in the United States including household cleaners, fertilizers, laundry detergents, and even in some personal care products. Overall, boric acid is low in toxicity when it comes in contact with the skin, however, it should not be ingested and should always be kept out of the reach of children and pets.
What is boric acid used for?
Boric acid is used for a variety of reasons, and it's included in a wide assortment of products whether on its own or added to other ingredients. Just some of the uses for boric acid include:
- Relief of vaginal itching and discharge. Boric acid is commonly added to various vaginal treatments, such as boric acid suppositories, and is used as treatment for bacterial vaginosis or to combat vaginal discharge. Boric acid is added to moisturizers like vitamin E to soothe irritated vaginal skin.
- Boric acid may be used to treat a variety of skin ailments like insect bites and stings, sunburn, and diaper rash when diluted and mixed with other ingredients.
- Boric acid is a common household pest killer that is highly effective at controlling flies, cockroaches, and rodents.
- When mixed with talc, boric acid is a great treatment to lessen foot odor when applied to the inside of shoes.
- You can mix some boric acid with distilled water to make a wound treatment spray to help relieve the itch or sting of minor cuts and burns.
- Some pool chemical products contain boric acid thanks to its ability to helps stabilize the pH level of pool water while helping to prevent the growth of algae.